Lehigh University Police Department Timely Warning/Safety Bulletin Procedure
The Lehigh University Police Department, on a case by case basis, in light of all facts surrounding the crime and without compromising law enforcement efforts, will prepare a timely warning when a report is received of a violent crime against a person or a particularly threatening crime against property that represents an ongoing threat to the safety of the Lehigh University Community.
Timely Warnings/Safety Bulletins can be sent to all students, faculty and staff in a variety of ways which include text messages, push notifications, emails, deskstop computer takeovers, digital information boards, voice mails and classroom announcement systems. The Safety Bulletin will also be posted on the Lehigh University Police Department’s website in a timely manner. Alternative methods for distributing media releases can include campus newspaper or flyers posted in University Buildings.
When Bethlehem Police Department notifies the Lehigh University Police Department of an off-campus crime that represents an ongoing threat to the safety of the Lehigh University Community, the Lehigh University Police Department will issue a Safety Bulletin on a timely basis.
Information which may be contained in a Safety Bulletin includes:
- A succinct description of the incident and type of crime including location, date and time of occurrence;
- A physical description of the suspect including gender, age, height, weight, hair color, etc., and race if available and accompanied by other descriptive characteristics;
- A composite drawing of the suspect or photograph if available;
- A description to an apparent connection to previous incidents if applicable;
- Race of the victim, but only if there is an apparent bias motive;
- Sex of the victim, if relevant;
- Injuries sustained by the victim;
- Notice to the campus community to use caution and provide safety tips;
- Other relevant and pertinent information such as weapons involved.
In order to protect the privacy of the victim, Lehigh University Police Department does not release the identity of the reporter to ensure their safety and integrity.
The purpose of the Timely Warning/Safety Bulletin is to ensure the Lehigh University Community has adequate and timely information relating to potential risks in the campus and surrounding community.